‘Hurt leads to bitterness, bitterness to anger, travel too far that road and the way is lost’ – Terry Brooks
Any regular follower of my twitter feed will know I LOVE good song lyric, as much as an avid reader will tell you they can read a book and it feels like the author has captured all their thoughts and feelings and articulated them in a way they never could, I feel the exact same about song lyrics.
I have a particular passion for bitter lyrics, which is funny as I wouldn’t consider myself a particularly bitter person, but hearing a lyric that makes you think ‘damn that’s harsh!’ sends tingles down my spine!
Below are 10 of my favourite vinegary lyrics, allow yourself to bask in their acidity!
1. ‘When we were growing up you always looked like you were having such fun you always were and you always will be the taller and the prettier one’ Back to the Start (Lily Allen)
2. ‘Tell the devil I said hey when you get back to where you’re from’ Grenade (Bruno Mars)
3. ‘ You could have come over to my side, you could have let me know, you could have tried to see the distance between us but it seemed to far for you to go’ Do You Remember (Phil Collins)
4. ‘Everytime I scratch my nails down someone else’s back i hope you feel it’ You Oughta Know (Alanis Morissette)
5. ‘I don’t ask for your forgiveness I don’t care much for your actress. That’s just you though shallow and selfish’ Bitter (Nine Days)
6. ‘She’s waiting on the call from me to tell her that I’m sorry I can come back if I crawl But I got bad knees and I can’t say that I’m sorry ‘cept I’m sorry that I met you’ Down for the Count (Bowling for Soup)
7. ‘That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive, carved my name into his leather seats I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights, slashed a hole in all 4 tires’ Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood)
8. ‘Hate is strong word but I really, really, really don’t like you’ Hate (Plain White T’s)
9. I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife’ Take Me To Church (Hozier)
10. ‘Your face makes me want to be sick, ah yeah it’s a physical reaction’ Better Do Better (Hard-Fi)